Higher Edn and Research Bill introduced in RS
New Delhi: The government on Wednesday introduced a
Bill in the Rajya Sabha for establishment of the National
Commission for Higher Education and Research (NCHER), an
overarching body in higher education to oversee universities
and technical institutes.
The Higher Education and Research Bill, 2011, introduced
by Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal, seeks to
promote autonomy of higher educational institutions and
universities for free pursuit of knowledge and innovation.
The NCHER will subsume all existing regulatory bodies,
including UGC, AICTE and Council of Distance Education.
The Bill also provides for comprehensive and integrated
growth of higher education and research keeping in view the
global standard of educational and research practices.
The body may comprise 70 members, with representatives
from every state and regulatory bodies.
The proposal for the establishment of the NCHER has its
origin in the address of the President to Parliament on June,
4, 2009 where the government declared its intent to establish
an overarching body in higher education to reform the current
The proposal was based on the recommendations of the
National Knowledge Commission and Prof Yash Pal Committee.
Prof Yash Pal Committee had recommended NCHER to replace the
existing regulatory bodies.
NCHER will cover all areas and disciplines, including
general, technical and professional education, and also some
research components in the field of medicine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...