Higher education in Bihar, UP disappointing: Meira
Darbhanga: The condition of higher education in Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and some other states is "disappointing", Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar said today and stressed on establishing institutional machinery to ensure that it was relevant with changing times.
"The present condition of higher education is disappointing in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh and Jharkhand," she told the fifth annual convocation of Lalit Narayan Mishra University here.
Kumar lamented that the number of illiterates in India was maximum in the world. "There is a big gap between literate and the well-to-do in urban areas and illiterate and deprived sections in villages. Similarly, there has been a gap between male and female literacy rate and also between states."
She emphasised on greater investment in education to bridge the gaps.
There is an urgent need to pay attention to this area and in establishing an institutional machinery to ensure that education imparted was relevant with changing times, Kumar, who is Lok Sabha member from Sasaram in Bihar, said.
"This is needed to make higher education contextual and useful," she said and stressed that universities have provision for time bound review and reorganisation of syllabus, give more weightage to internal assessment and create
better environment for teachers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Cases against Baloch leaders-in-exile highlight Pakistan's frustration: BJP
- BSP leader Brajesh Pathak joins BJP
- Piaggio launches Aprilia SR 150 in India priced at Rs 65,000
- Family of killed Dalit youths, who died in 2012 Gujarat police firing, demand CBI probe
- Won't camouflage baby bump on screen: Kareena