Highlights of FDI debate in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: The Samajwadi Party (SP) led by Mulayam Singh Yadav on Thursday announced that it would abstain from voting on FDI in multi-brand retail in the Rajya Sabha.
“Samajwadi Party will walkout from the Rajya Sabha during the vote on FDI,” party leader Ram Gopal Yadav said.
SP’s decision came after its arch rival Bahujan Samaj Party’s supremo Mayawati said that her party will vote in favour of the government when voting is held in the Upper House on FDI on Friday.
DMK leader Tiruchi Siva also had some good news for the government. “DMK has never let down friends; will always be with UPA,” Siva said.
The Congress and its allies had defeated the Opposition-backed motion over FDI in multi-brand retail in the Lok Sabha on Wednesday. The Upper House, Rajya Sabha, is discussing the issue today and tomorrow.
The government had sailed through in Lok Sabha after the SP and BSP staged a walkout ahead of the voting. The Opposition dismissed the government’s victory in Lok Sabha alleging that it misused enforcement agencies like the CBI to intimidate SP and BSP and win votes in the Lower House.
Besides Mayawati, Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley and CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury took part in the debate.
While Jaitley spiritedly rejected the FDI policy of the government, Yechury opined that the government should rethink its decision.
Samajwadi Party’s Naresh Agrawal also spoke. He asked the government to rethink the decision.
Mayawati said that though her party has apprehensions about the FDI policy but she will still go with the government at this juncture.
However, she used the better part of her speech to take on the BJP. She slammed Sushma Swaraj for her comment that BSP is supporting the government on FDI as it fears the CBI.
Highlights of the FDI debate in Rajya Sabha:
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah