Himachal fears NCTC will strain Centre-state ties
New Delhi: Himachal Pradesh on Saturday strongly opposed the setting up of the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC) saying the federal structure of the country is sought to be weakened under its garb and such attempts to encroach on states` powers will strain relations with the Centre.
Speaking at the chief ministers’ conference on NCTC here on Saturday, Himachal Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal questioned the Centre on misuse of the proposed NCTC for harassing political adversaries and branding them as anti-national.
Going by the concerns raised by various states on NCTC, Dhumal said, it "shows that it is not the need for an appropriate response mechanism that is being questioned, but the manner and the form in which it is being sought to be put in place".
"Not only has the Union government gone about giving shape to the proposed NCTC unilaterally, but it has also, unfortunately, tried to run roughshod over the interests of states in the process," Dhumal said.
Attacking Home Minister P Chidambaram for claiming that terrorism was a shared responsibility, Dhumal questioned, "then why is the federal structure being sought to be weakened in the garb of setting up the NCTC?"
Further questioning the concentration of wide powers and discretions to intelligence organisations, he said, "where is the guarantee that the Central government may not misuse the proposed NCTC to harass its political adversaries, branding them and their activities as anti-national?"
Dhumal feared, "such attempts to encroach on the powers and jurisdictions of states will only end up straining the relations between the Centre and the states".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Priyanka Chopra, Saroj Khan honoured at Fempowerment awards
- We should protect and preserve our unity, integrity: PM on GST
- Honda Activa contributes 38% of incremental industry sales in July
- Banks not fully understanding problems of SMEs: Commerce and Industry Minister
- West Indies vs India: 2nd T20I — As it happened...