Hindu group not involved in Goa blast: Police
Panaji: Goa Police on Wednesday did an about turn on their claim that the right wing Hindu group Sanatana Sanstha was behind the October 16 scooter blast in Margao.
They claimed they had never said the key accused in the case Malganda Patil and Yogesh Naik had links with the Sanstha.
"Nowhere have we said that the organisation Sanatan Sanstha is involved. We just said that the persons who were suspected of carrying out the attack have links with Sanatan Sanstha,” said Atmaram Deshpande, Superintendent of Police Crime Investigating Department (CID).
Earlier, State Home Minister Ravi Naik stated that the Sanathan Sanstha worker -- Malganda Patil planned and executed Friday’s blast near a church in Margao.
"Two persons, Malganda Patil and Yogesh Naik are involved. Patil works as an administrator with the Sanathan Sanstha. He has planned and executed the blast. He planted the bomb in the scooter and thus two people were injured," Naik had said.
The Sanstha, on its part, had denied the statement made by Naik, saying the entire allegation was a conspiracy.
Sanstha’s spokesperson Abhay Vartak, had said, "The accusation that we are involved in the blast is a rumor. It is a conspiracy. There have been no arrests and no incriminating material has been found."
Maharashtra mulling ban on Sanstha
The Maharashtra government is
considering a proposal to ban Hindu right-wing organisation
Asked as to why the Sanatan Sanstha was not banned
last year despite a recommendation from the then
Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) chief Hemant Karkare, Virk told
reporters, "We will discuss this and, if we feel it is
necessary, we will surely ban the outfit."
He also said, the investigation into the blast was on
and the identity of those involved was yet to be established.
Virk was speaking on the sidelines of Commemoration Day
parade to pay homage to policemen who sacrificed their lives
in the line of duty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof