Hindu group not involved in Goa blast: Police
Panaji: Goa Police on Wednesday did an about turn on their claim that the right wing Hindu group Sanatana Sanstha was behind the October 16 scooter blast in Margao.
They claimed they had never said the key accused in the case Malganda Patil and Yogesh Naik had links with the Sanstha.
"Nowhere have we said that the organisation Sanatan Sanstha is involved. We just said that the persons who were suspected of carrying out the attack have links with Sanatan Sanstha,” said Atmaram Deshpande, Superintendent of Police Crime Investigating Department (CID).
Earlier, State Home Minister Ravi Naik stated that the Sanathan Sanstha worker -- Malganda Patil planned and executed Friday’s blast near a church in Margao.
"Two persons, Malganda Patil and Yogesh Naik are involved. Patil works as an administrator with the Sanathan Sanstha. He has planned and executed the blast. He planted the bomb in the scooter and thus two people were injured," Naik had said.
The Sanstha, on its part, had denied the statement made by Naik, saying the entire allegation was a conspiracy.
Sanstha’s spokesperson Abhay Vartak, had said, "The accusation that we are involved in the blast is a rumor. It is a conspiracy. There have been no arrests and no incriminating material has been found."
Maharashtra mulling ban on Sanstha
The Maharashtra government is
considering a proposal to ban Hindu right-wing organisation
Asked as to why the Sanatan Sanstha was not banned
last year despite a recommendation from the then
Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) chief Hemant Karkare, Virk told
reporters, "We will discuss this and, if we feel it is
necessary, we will surely ban the outfit."
He also said, the investigation into the blast was on
and the identity of those involved was yet to be established.
Virk was speaking on the sidelines of Commemoration Day
parade to pay homage to policemen who sacrificed their lives
in the line of duty.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed