Hindu Temple planned for Oxford, US
Nevada (US): A Hindu Temple and Community Centre is being planned for Oxford (United Kingdom).
Besides the temple, the plan also includes building a 500-seat community center for providing meeting place for the community, community events, luncheon clubs, interfaith projects, indoor activities for youth, yoga classes, Sunday school, etc., reports suggest.
Oxford Hindu Temple & Community Centre Project, registered as charity with Charity Commission for England and Wales, currently organizes prayer sessions, festivals and other community events in various halls, including a primary school hall. One of the listed objects of this Project includes “to advance the Hindu religion in Oxfordshire”.
Meanwhile, distinguished Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement today, applauded efforts of temple-project leaders and Oxfordshire and surrounding area community to realize this wonderful Hindu temple and community center.
Rajan Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, further said that it was important to pass on Hindu spirituality, concepts and traditions to coming generations amidst so many distractions in the consumerist society and hoped that this new temple complex would focus in this direction. Zed stressed that instead of running after materialism; we should focus on inner search and realization of self and work towards achieving moksh (liberation), which was the goal of Hinduism.
Project is run by an Executive Committee of 15 members whose Chair and Deputy Chair are Doctor Gyan Gopal and Chinta Kallie respectively. Fundraising campaign is currently on and it plans to raise 500,000 pounds for the temple fund, out of which 60,000 pounds have reportedly been collected.
There are about 5,000 Hindus in Oxfordshire County who currently have to travel long distances to London, Birmingham, Slough, etc., to worship in a Hindu temple.
Oxford (Oxfordshire, England), chartered in 1542 and popularly called the "city of dreaming spires", is known for its medieval University of Oxford, mid-18th century Radcliffe Camera, Radiohead band, authors Oscar Wilde and Lewis Carroll, etc. Its motto is "Truth is strength" and John Goddard is the Lord Mayor, Bob Price is City Council Leader, while Peter Sloman is Chief Executive. Rivers Cherwell and Thames run through Oxford, which appears in “Harry Potter” movies.
Hinduism, oldest and third largest religion of the world, has about one billion adherents. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir