Hindu terror: Plea to call PM, Sonia as witnesses rejected
New Delhi: A Delhi court has dismissed as being "part of political vendetta" a plea to summon Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi as witnesses in a complaint case filed against Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde for his alleged "Hindu terror" remarks made at Jaipur.
While dismissing the plea, Metropolitan Magistrate Harun Pratap also imposed a cost of Rs 1,000 on complainant, an RTI activist.
The plea had also sought to call senior Congress leader Mani Shankar Aiyar and Chandrabhan of Rajasthan Pradesh Congress as witnesses.
The court, however, termed the application "totally frivolous" and "part of personal vendetta as reflected in the uttering of the complainant himself in the court whereby he has shown his disregard and angst towards the political system of the country and especially the present government."
The magistrate, who had earlier directed the complainant to show the relevancy to call the leaders as witnesses, also noted in his order that the witnesses sought to be summoned are senior Congress leaders who are stated to be relevant in this case.
The purpose as shown by the complainant for summoning them as witnesses is not a fit ground in the view of the court as personal opinion of any person is neither relevant nor sufficient to decide the factum of alleged offence itself.
"Moreover, since the voice recording of Shinde has already been brought on record alongwith newspaper clippings containing the contents of alleged speech, hence the court has no hesitation in hereby arriving at the finding that the summoning of the witnesses is highly irrelevant and not required to arrive at a just decision in this case," the court said.
The complainant had earlier sought registration of an FIR against Shinde for his alleged comments during the AICC meet at Jaipur in January.
The court had, however, dismissed the plea for registration of the FIR, but had allowed the complainant to lead evidence in support of his allegations in the private complaint.
Shinde had at the AICC meet on January 20 said, "Reports have come during investigation that BJP and RSS conduct terror training camps to spread terrorism...Bombs were planted in Samjhauta express, Mecca Masjid and also a blast was carried out in Malegaon."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!