Hindus acclaim Archbishop`s Diwali greetings
Nevada: Hindus have applauded Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby for his greetings "to Hindu communities on the occasion of Diwali", wishing "great peace and joy".
In his message, Welby said: "The lights of Diwali symbolise the renewal of life and hope in the midst of darkness so often prevalent in our world."
Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada on Sunday, welcomed Archbishop`s message, a copy of which was sent to Zed by Tess Young, Welby`s Inter Religious Affairs Team Assistant.
Zed, president of the Universal Society of Hinduism, stressed all religions should work together for a just and peaceful world. He urged Welby to explore the rich philosophy which Hindu scriptures offered.
Archbishop Welby, based in London, is the senior most bishop of the worldwide Anglicans, a Christian denomination, who number around 85 million and spread over 165 countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official