Hindutva leaders can guarantee Muslim security: Uma Bharti
New Delhi: Only right-wing Hindutva leaders can guarantee the security of Muslims in India, BJP leader Uma Bharti said Sunday, as she defended Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, facing fire over handling of 2002 riots in his state.
"Only right-wing Hindutva leaders can be the saviour of Muslims and guarantee their security. Only we can instill confidence and erode fear from the Muslim psyche," Uma Bharti told a TV news channel.
"The so-called secular brigade has failed to secure the community. It`s important to win their trust, if not their votes," the Bharatiya Janata Party leader said.
Uma Bharti, the firebrand "sanyasin" and a former Madhya Pradesh chief minister, who recently returned to the team of central office-bearers of the BJP, defended Modi, saying there has been no exodus from Gujarat post-2002 riots.
"There was no Muslim exodus from Gujarat after the riots. People are at peace with themselves and enjoying the fruits of development. Let`s not do a body count of riot victims on basis of religion. Hundreds of Hindus died in police firing during the post-Godhra riots. This negates allegations about Modi`s complicity in the violence," she claimed.
Her full-throttle support can also be gauged from the fact that she even couched then prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee`s much-publicised admonition of Modi to follow `raj dharma` as a spur-of-the-moment reaction to a journalist`s query.
"Atalji is a spontaneous speaker. I was with him in Gujarat in the tense weeks following the riots. Vajpayee`s call for morality was no criticism of Modi. It was no advice, no call to Modi to redeem himself. He just blurted it out," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’