`His Excellency` to go; Prez Pranab approves new protocol practices
New Delhi: Colonial era words like `His Excellency` used for addressing state dignitaries will soon be passe!
President Pranab Mukherjee has approved a new set of protocol to be used in greetings and meetings dignitaries inside and outside the country.
Besides, Mukherjee has also directed authorities to organise government functions for him within the Rashtrapati Bhavan premises in order to reduce the burden on police and the inconvenience caused to people.
"Use of the words `His Excellency` will be discontinued while organising functions within the country and during interaction between Indian dignitaries and the President.
"In Hindi, `Rashtrapati Mahoday` should be used in place of `Mahamahin` during such occasions," a Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesman said in a statement today.
Mukherjee, after reviewing the current protocol practices, also directed that the word "Hon`ble" will be used before the title of `President` or `Governor`. The traditional Indian greeting of "Shri" or "Smt" should precede the name.
Whereas, "Excellency" will be used only for interaction of leaders with foreign dignitaries as is customary international practice, it said.
It has also been decided that the word `Rashtrapati Ji` will replace `Mahamahim` in official notings in the President`s Secretariat.
Officials said all changes in protocol practice, which have been conveyed to the Ministry of Home Affairs for further action, will be implemented with immediate effect.
"Taking into account inconvenience caused to public during his movement within the city and in order to reduce the burden on police and other agencies, the President has instructed that, to the best extent possible, all functions be organised within Rashtrapati Bhavan premises itself," it added.
Mukherjee was sworn in as the 13th President of the country on July 25 this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’