Historic blunder to support UPA during trust vote: Amar Singh
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party Friday termed as "historical blunder" its decision to support the government at the Centre during last year`s trust vote on the nuclear deal issue and said it was disenchanted with the Congress.
"It was a historical blunder on our part to support the government last year during the confidence vote," SP General Secretary Amar Singh said in a telephonic conversation from Singapore.
On whether Congress has betrayed his party, he said, "I don`t want to use such strong words against Congress, but we are disenchanted with it".
Singh said he had received a lot of flak within his party for supporting the UPA. Despite this, Congress has treated SP shabbily after the Lok Sabha elections.
"At the time when we chose to lend support to it, Congress was passing through a rough phase as it had lost assembly elections in various states including Punjab and Uttarakhand. Despite this, it has forgotten us after general elections," he lamented.
Singh, whose party has 23 members in the Lok Sabha, said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh did not even thank his party for its support even though SP had sought no favour from it in return.
Refuting reports that SP had decided to support UPA to keep cases against its leaders under wraps, Singh said it was not true and "there was no deal behind the deal".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’