`Hitler` garment shop to be renamed after Israel intervenes
Ahmedabad: Owners of a garment store named `Hitler` located in Vastrapur area of the city that stirred a controversy, has decided to change the name of the shop, following intervention by Israel and locals Jews.
"We have voluntarily decided to change the name of our shop within this week and shall remove the billboard `Hitler`," Rajesh Shah, one of the owners of the shop said.
The name board of the shop - adorned with the word `Hitler`, in which, the `i` is dotted with a Nazi swastika- had stirred a controversy.
Earlier, a group of local Jews from synagogue here had demanded the shop owner to change the controversial name saying that it hurt the sentiments of their community.
The Israel Counsel General Orna Sagiv, who is on a visit to Gujarat, had also taken up the issue with the top state officials here.
"I met the top state officials in Gujarat and expressed my concern about this shop and why we see it so seriously," Israel Consul General Orna Sagiv said.
In the past few years similar incidents have been reported from Nagpur and Navi Mumbai, where the shop owners later changed the name, she said.
Sagiv said that "ignorance" was the reason behind such type of acts.
"After realising how much pain and hurt it caused to some community, he (shop owner) decided to change the name of his shop," Sagiv said.
The shop that sells western menswear, was opened last month and the name was selected as an attribute to the grandfather of one of the shop owners, who was nicknamed `Hitler` for being very strict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands