`Hitler` garment shop to be renamed after Israel intervenes
Ahmedabad: Owners of a garment store named `Hitler` located in Vastrapur area of the city that stirred a controversy, has decided to change the name of the shop, following intervention by Israel and locals Jews.
"We have voluntarily decided to change the name of our shop within this week and shall remove the billboard `Hitler`," Rajesh Shah, one of the owners of the shop said.
The name board of the shop - adorned with the word `Hitler`, in which, the `i` is dotted with a Nazi swastika- had stirred a controversy.
Earlier, a group of local Jews from synagogue here had demanded the shop owner to change the controversial name saying that it hurt the sentiments of their community.
The Israel Counsel General Orna Sagiv, who is on a visit to Gujarat, had also taken up the issue with the top state officials here.
"I met the top state officials in Gujarat and expressed my concern about this shop and why we see it so seriously," Israel Consul General Orna Sagiv said.
In the past few years similar incidents have been reported from Nagpur and Navi Mumbai, where the shop owners later changed the name, she said.
Sagiv said that "ignorance" was the reason behind such type of acts.
"After realising how much pain and hurt it caused to some community, he (shop owner) decided to change the name of his shop," Sagiv said.
The shop that sells western menswear, was opened last month and the name was selected as an attribute to the grandfather of one of the shop owners, who was nicknamed `Hitler` for being very strict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional