New Delhi: The Delhi High Court blast was orchestrated by Hizbul Mujahideen (HM), main accused in the case Wasim Akram Malik told a local court here on Monday.
Malik told the court that the conspiracy to carry out the terror attack was hatched by Hizbul’s Syed Salahuddin and his top commander Jehangir Saroori in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK). Malik said that he had revealed the plan to blow up the Delhi High Court to his brother Junaid Akram and friend Amir Ali Kamal.
Zee News has exclusive access to the confessional statement of Malik.
Malik informed the court that it was Salahuddin who suggested that Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) be used in the blast for maximum impact.
Stating reasons for targeting innocent civilians, Malik revealed that the blast was carried out to protest the execution of Afzal Guru - a death row convict in the Parliament attack case.
Malik said the lawyers were the prime target of the blast as the legal fraternity was responsible for the sentencing of Afzal Guru.
Salahuddin had sent two Pakistani bombers with explosive through PoK in the month of August, who along with one local militant planted the bomb outside the Delhi High Court, Malik confessed.
Describing the modus operandi before carrying out the blast, Malik said that his team conducted the reccee of the High Court thrice in the month of August to assess the security arrangements and existing loopholes.
Earlier, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) had also declared that Hizbul Mujahideen, which operates out of PoK, was behind the High Court blast plot.
The agency had recently declared three Hizbul Mujahideen terrorists -- Junaid Akram, Shakir Hussain Sheikh and Amir Ali Kamal -- as wanted in connection with the blast case and announced a cash reward of Rs 10 lakh for any information leading to their arrest.
NIA had earlier arrested Wasim Malik, Aamir Abbas Dev and a juvenile for allegedly sending emails to media houses claiming responsibility for the blast on behalf of banned terror group Harkat ul-Jihad al-Islami (HuJI).
Meanwhile, two of the three accused arrested by the NIA in the case have also recorded their confessional statements in which they reportedly said they were involved in the conspiracy.
Abid Hussain and Hafiz Aamir Abbas Dev recorded their confessional statement before a magistrate recently in which they possibly owned up the responsibility for drafting and sending an email after the blast in which they claimed responsibility for the audacious attack.
The blast outside the Delhi High Court on September 7 in which 15 people were killed was the first case handed over to the NIA immediately after an incident before local police could step in.
One of the two has stated in his confessional statement that Malik, a Kishtawar resident studying medicine in a Bangladesh college, had handed over the mail two days in advance and also introduced them to the "bombers" who looked like Pakistanis or Bangladeshis, sources said.
There were some indications about who had planted the bomb but there was no linking evidence, therefore, the probe agency was pushing to get another confessional statement from the third accused.
However, crucial questions remains about how the IED was procured.
Questions also remained about from where the sophisticated briefcase bomb was procured and how it was transported to the national capital.
The NIA suspects the involvement of Junaid, Amir and Shakir Hussain Sheikh in the blast.
All three are absconding at the moment. While Junaid is not a trained militant, other two have neither figured in any of the interrogation reports of other militants for long nor have they been active, says reports.
Meanwhile, a Delhi court today sent Amir and Malik to judicial remand for 14 days after the NIA submitted that it does not require their custody.