Hizbul terrorist came from Pakistan: Delhi Police
New Delhi: The Delhi Police on Friday disclosed that Liyakat Shah, the Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist arrested from Uttar Pradesh’s Gorakhpur, had come to India from Pakistan via Nepal.
SN Srivastava, special commissioner of police (training and special cell), told a press conference that Liyakat had come to Nepal on a flight from where he crossed into India through the Sunauli border.
Srivastava informed that Liyakat, who was arrested in Gorakhpur on March 20, had planned to carry out terror strikes with the help of new recruits.
“We have registered an FIR in the case,” the official said.
Liyakat disclosed during interrogation that he had instructions to go and meet other Hizbul men in the Jama Masjid area, from where the Delhi Police early this morning recovered a cache of arms and ammunition.
As per Srivastava, the occupants of the hotel room from where arms were recovered managed to escape.
“We used a decoy and waited for them to come to the hotel. But when they did not return, we got the room opened and carried out search operation. When we saw hand grenades there, we called in the bomb disposal squad,” Srivastava said, adding they recovered three hand grenades, 220 grams of high explosive plastic material, one AK-56 rifle, two magazines with 30 cartridges each, one map, a microSD card and dry fruits.
Srivastava said Liyakat had instructions from senior Hizbul commanders to meet new recruits and carry out attacks in Delhi.
“His handlers had got him made a Pakistani passport. He was asked to destroy the same on arriving in Nepal,” the official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Mahatma Gandhi: Know six things you didn't know about him
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan