Hizbul terrorist came from Pakistan: Delhi Police
New Delhi: The Delhi Police on Friday disclosed that Liyakat Shah, the Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist arrested from Uttar Pradesh’s Gorakhpur, had come to India from Pakistan via Nepal.
SN Srivastava, special commissioner of police (training and special cell), told a press conference that Liyakat had come to Nepal on a flight from where he crossed into India through the Sunauli border.
Srivastava informed that Liyakat, who was arrested in Gorakhpur on March 20, had planned to carry out terror strikes with the help of new recruits.
“We have registered an FIR in the case,” the official said.
Liyakat disclosed during interrogation that he had instructions to go and meet other Hizbul men in the Jama Masjid area, from where the Delhi Police early this morning recovered a cache of arms and ammunition.
As per Srivastava, the occupants of the hotel room from where arms were recovered managed to escape.
“We used a decoy and waited for them to come to the hotel. But when they did not return, we got the room opened and carried out search operation. When we saw hand grenades there, we called in the bomb disposal squad,” Srivastava said, adding they recovered three hand grenades, 220 grams of high explosive plastic material, one AK-56 rifle, two magazines with 30 cartridges each, one map, a microSD card and dry fruits.
Srivastava said Liyakat had instructions from senior Hizbul commanders to meet new recruits and carry out attacks in Delhi.
“His handlers had got him made a Pakistani passport. He was asked to destroy the same on arriving in Nepal,” the official added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know