Hizbul terrorist had plans to attack South Delhi mall, Chandni Chowk
New Delhi: Notwithstanding claims that the alleged Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist arrested from Gorakhpur was actually returning home via Nepal under the J&K government`s rehabilitation policy for surrendered militants, Delhi Police sources said on Saturday that Sayyed Liyaqat Shah had big terror plans to execute.
Sources said Shah had received training in the Pakistan-occupied Kashmir and that he had been instructed by his handlers to target crowded areas of Delhi around Holi, including a popular mall in South Delhi and Chandni Chowk in Old Delhi.
The Delhi Police have already launched a hunt for six other suspected terrorists who are believed to be hiding in the capital.
The police had on Thursday midnight raided a guest house in Jama Masjid area and recovered arms and ammunition. However, the occupants of the room from where the ammunition was seized could not be arrested.
Police believe they could be suicide bombers and may target the capital on Holi.
The revelations have come amidst a row over whether Liyaqat Shah was planning a terror strike in Delhi or he was coming to surrender.
Shah`s wife Ameena Begum told a news agency that her husband was returning home under the state government`s rehabilitation policy via Nepal and there was no question of him carrying any weapons.
"My husband was picked up by some gunmen six years after our marriage around 15 years ago. After some years, we received a letter from him saying he was in Pakistan and was working as a labourer in Mansehra," she said.
"After mobile phones started working in the Valley, we used to occasionally receive calls from him confirming his welfare and his desire to return home," Ameena said.
"We filed an application with the authorities in Kupwara district requesting that Liyaqat be allowed to return home under the rehabilitation policy."
"Authorities accepted our request and said he must return to India via Nepal and thereafter he would be helped to re-join his family. Now we are hearing that police have arrested him in Delhi with some weapons," Ameena said.
"There is no question of my husband returning to India with any weapon at all since he was coming home under the state government`s rehabilitation policy and that too through Nepal."
Shah, 47, was arrested by the Delhi Police from Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh on March 20. A court has sent him in 15 days` police remand.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India