Hizbul terrorist nabbed; ammunition seized in Delhi
New Delhi: The Delhi Police have averted a possible terror strike in the national capital with the arrest of a suspected Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist from Uttar Pradesh.
Police sources said the alleged operative, Liyakat Shah, was on way to Delhi in a train when he was arrested from Gorakhpur two days back.
During interrogation, the man is reported to have confessed that a terror strike in Delhi was being planned around Holi. Going by the man`s confessional statement, the Special Cell of Delhi Police raided a guest house near Jama Masjid in Old Delhi last night and recovered an AK-47 assault rifle, hand grenades, 60 rounds of ammunition, and some maps of the Jama Masjid area.
"The suspected terrorist has been identified as Liyakat Shah, 47, a resident of Kashmir`s Sopore. As per initial information, Shah came from Pakistan via Kathmandu and he was arrested from Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh two days ago," said a senior police official.
While the room from where the arms and ammunition were recovered was sealed, two employees of the guest house were also detained for questioning. They were, however, let off today after interrogation, police sources said.
Liyakat was meanwhile produced in a court yesterday which sent him to police custody for 15 days.
Sources said he and two to three of his associates had recced parts of Delhi and planned to carry out strikes on Holi, which falls on March 27 (Wednesday).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price