Holbrooke to travel to India
Washington: Special US Representative for Af-Pak Richard Holbrooke would travel to India on his current trip to the region that would take him to Afghanistan and Pakistan, besides London and Germany.
"Special Representative Holbrooke will also travel to India and the United Kingdom where he will have additional meetings with counterparts and government officials," a State Department announcement said, without mentioning the specific dates when he would be in India.
However, the dates of his other travels from June 15 to 22 were announced.
In Germany on July 15, Holbrooke will meet with counterparts and government officials.
In Pakistan from July 16-19, he will attend a meeting of the Friends of Democratic Pakistan and participate in a Strategic Dialogue session to reinforce the close partnership
between the United States and Pakistan.
In Afghanistan on July 20, Holbrooke will attend the Kabul Conference, co-chaired by the Government of Afghanistan and the United Nations, to reinforce US support for the Afghan plans to assume lead responsibility for security and development, the State Department said.
On Tuesday at a news conference, Holbrooke said that New Delhi has an important role to play in Afghanistan and welcomed the resumption of talks between India and Pakistan.
"Anything that reduces tensions and increases confidence and understanding between Pakistan and India is something we would encourage and support," Holbrooke said.
But the United States is not directly involved in those talks, he told reporters.
Holbrooke, who has been in frequent contact with the Indian Ambassador to the US Meera Shankar on this issue, met the latter this morning.
"I did have a very good discussion this morning with the Indian Ambassador to the United States, who came in at my invitation so that I could brief her on the things we`re
talking about here," he said.
"India has a very real role in the region for historic and strategic reasons. They can play an important role in resolving these issues," Holbrooke said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read