Hold video conferencing for Sylvester: CBI
New Delhi: CBI on Tuesday wrote to police Chiefs
of Rajasthan and Gujarat suggesting they could hold court
proceedings of Sylvester, a key witness in Sohrabuddin Sheikh
fake encounter killing case who had escaped before being
recaptured, through video conferencing.
In a letter to Directors General of Police of Gujarat and
Rajasthan, CBI said there was no need to keep moving the key
witness from one state to another and that it would reduce the
possibility for his escape in future, official sources said.
The sources said the agency also offered the assistance
in setting up a mechanism for holding trial court proceedings
through video conferencing.
Sylvester had made a dramatic escape from Gujarat Police
custody in Rajasthan on October eight and later captured again
the next day.
Sylvester, who fled after being produced in a court in
Udaipur, was picked up by a Special Task Force of Rajasthan
police from Gopalpura area in Udaipur near the Vrindavan
Garden at around 2230 hours. A loaded pistol was seized from
The CBI communique said Sylvester, alias Dipu, was an
important witness for the central agency which is probing the
Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case.
CBI believes Sylvester could be holding some important
leads in connection with the Sohrabbudin fake encounter and
the subsequent murder of his wife Kausar Bi.
CBI has sought a detailed report from the Gujarat Police
on the incident.
Sohrabbudin was killed in a fake encounter on November
26, 2005. 14 policemen, including three IPS officers, are
behind the bars in connection with the encounter case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened