Holi celebration by widows draws flak from some sections
Mathura: The breaking of traditions by widows in Vrindavan who participated in four-day Holi celebrations with gulal and flowers has drawn criticism from a section of religious leaders here.
"This is infringement of our ancient culture," Mathura Prasad Kaushik, a priest at the Daan Ghati temple, said.
A veteran in the popular Ram Lila act, Shankar Lal Chaturvedi criticised the event, saying, "It would have been better if they (widows) had offered colour and gulal to Thakur ji (Lord Krishna). The manner in which they smeared face of each other with gulal is not good".
In the past, widows living in the ashrams played Holi only with `thakurji` (Lord Krishna).
Around 800 widows participated in the festivities organised by Sulabh International in ashrams of Vrindavan.
Its founder Bindeshwar Pathak had said, "Vrindavan Holi is an effort to free widows from the shackles of age-old tradition. Not only will the widows play Holi, they will also participate in cultural programmes".
Meanwhile, security has been beefed up in the religious city keeping in mind the huge crowds it draws during the festival.
"The security at the centre of Holi celebrations, especially in and around temples, has been beefed up. Police in plain clothes have also been deployed at sensitive places," SSP Pradeep Yadav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset