Holy month of Ramazan begins
New Delhi: Ramazan, the holy month of
fasting for Muslims, begins from today with the new
moon being sighted on Monday evening.
While the faithful in Kerala began observing the month
from Monday, the other parts of the country will start the
period of fasting from Tuesday.
The moon sighting committee of Delhi that met on Monday
evening had announced that the new moon had been sighted.
Believed to be the month when the first verses of the
Quran were revealed to Prophet Muhammad, Muslims fast every
day for an entire month, abstaining from food and water from
dawn to dusk, besides devoting more time to prayer and more
resources to charity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test