Holy month of Ramazan begins
New Delhi: Ramazan, the holy month of
fasting for Muslims, begins from today with the new
moon being sighted on Monday evening.
While the faithful in Kerala began observing the month
from Monday, the other parts of the country will start the
period of fasting from Tuesday.
The moon sighting committee of Delhi that met on Monday
evening had announced that the new moon had been sighted.
Believed to be the month when the first verses of the
Quran were revealed to Prophet Muhammad, Muslims fast every
day for an entire month, abstaining from food and water from
dawn to dusk, besides devoting more time to prayer and more
resources to charity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Britain probes whether some Sharia courts legitimise forced marriage, divorces unfair to women
- PM Modi to flag-off Mizoram’s first broad-gauge passenger train from Bairabi to Silchar today
- Bodos, ex-militants hail Modi govt for giving ST status to Bodo-Kacharis in Assam's hill districts
- South Korean navy fires warning shots after North incursion
- Trump lays claim to Republican presidential nomination