Holy month of Ramazan begins
New Delhi: Ramazan, the holy month of
fasting for Muslims, begins from today with the new
moon being sighted on Monday evening.
While the faithful in Kerala began observing the month
from Monday, the other parts of the country will start the
period of fasting from Tuesday.
The moon sighting committee of Delhi that met on Monday
evening had announced that the new moon had been sighted.
Believed to be the month when the first verses of the
Quran were revealed to Prophet Muhammad, Muslims fast every
day for an entire month, abstaining from food and water from
dawn to dusk, besides devoting more time to prayer and more
resources to charity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth