Holy month of Ramazan begins
New Delhi: Ramazan, the holy month of
fasting for Muslims, begins from today with the new
moon being sighted on Monday evening.
While the faithful in Kerala began observing the month
from Monday, the other parts of the country will start the
period of fasting from Tuesday.
The moon sighting committee of Delhi that met on Monday
evening had announced that the new moon had been sighted.
Believed to be the month when the first verses of the
Quran were revealed to Prophet Muhammad, Muslims fast every
day for an entire month, abstaining from food and water from
dawn to dusk, besides devoting more time to prayer and more
resources to charity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!