Home Minister Chidambaram reviews SSB operations
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram on Thursday
reviewed the operational preparedness of para-military
Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) which guards the country`s borders
with Nepal and Bhutan.
Chidambaram was given a detailed presentation on the
operational and administrative functioning of the force which
has recently been sanctioned raising of 16 new battalions
(about 16,000 personnel) for its duties.
The Home Minister, who visited the SSB headquarters here
for the first time during his tenure, also interacted with top
officials of the force led by Director General Y S Dadwal.
"The Home Minister spent about an hour-and-half at the
headquarters and reviewed the deployment and operations of the
force which are majorly conducted along both the Nepal and
Bhutan borders," a senior SSB officer said.
He was also briefed about force deployment in naxal-hit
Two SSB battalions are deployed in Chhattisgarh to protect
Salwa Judum workers and carry out civic action work in these
The SSB guards 1,751 km-long Indo-Nepal and 699 km-long
Chidambaram has visited the headquarters of CRPF, CISF,
ITBP and BSF in the last few months for carrying out similar
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- British Council employee under fire over Prince George remarks
- British convert to Islam 'Jihadi Jack' denies joining ISIS
- Rio Olympics: Saina Nehwal seeded 5th, PV Sindhu 9th for the 2016 Games
- Volkswagen gets preliminary approval for US diesel settlement
- Parliament passes bill to allow kids below 14 to be engaged in 'home-based work'