Home Minister seeks report on protesters reaching Vijay Chowk
New Delhi: Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Monday expressed strong displeasure over the Delhi Police`s "failure" to prevent 1984 riots protesters reaching high- security Vijay Chowk and sought a report on the incident.
Shinde asked Delhi Lieutenant Governor Tejinder Khanna to find out how a sizable number of people, who were protesting against the acquittal of Congress leader Sajjan Kumar in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case, could reach near Raisina Hill, which houses North and South Block and Rashtrapati Bhavan.
The Home Minister was particularly upset over the fact that despite Section 144 being in force, the protesters could reach Vijay Chowk, a stone`s throw away from Parliament which is in session.
"I have told the LG to seek a report from the Delhi Police. We want to know why did police fail to stop the protesters. It is a serious matter," Shinde told reporters.
Today`s incident came in the wake of a series of events, including the rape of a five year-old girl in east Delhi, alleged manhandling of West Bengal Finance Minister Amit Mitra and protesters storming Shinde`s residence, that led to the Delhi Police drawing flak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video