Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde hails NDRF
Bhubaneswar: Lauding the work of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) during calamities, including one in Japan, Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde on Sunday said the Centre would soon recommend Disaster Mitigation Medals for the brave personnel.
"NDRF personnel have done commendable jobs in different disasters by rescuing people in distress like cylone Phailin, landslide in Uttarakhand and other places, for which I recommend the proposed Disaster Mitigation Medal for them," Shinde said after taking salute at the 9th Raising Day Function of NDRF at Munduli in Cuttack.
Stating that the Centre was working to enhance the strength of NDRF from 10 battalions to 12 battalions, Shinde said plans were also made to deploy brave personnel of NDRF in major cities for immediate requirements.
"The excellent job of NDRF personnel during a disaster in a nuclear power plant in Japan has made India proud," Shinde said.
He said besides natural calamities, the NDRF personnel are trained and equipped to handle man-made disasters like biological, chemical, radiological and even nuclear accidents.
The Union Minister also praised the NDRF`s community awareness programme as it would encourage the local people to take up rescue and relief operation on their own before arrival of any external assistance.
On cyclone Phailin that hit Odisha coast on October 13, the Union Minister said, "I was in constant touch with the Chief Minister during the calamity. A proper coordination between the state government and the NDRF personnel helped to mitigate miseries of the affected people," he said while thanking Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik for the support.
Besides Patnaik, National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) vice-chairman M Sashidhar Reddy, NDRF director general Krishna Chaudhury, Odisha DGP Prakash Mishra attended the function marking the 9th Raising Day of the NDRF.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends