Home Minister to visit forward areas in J&K on Tuesday
New Delhi: Amidst continuous tension along the India-Pakistan border over a spurt in ceasefire violations, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde will visit the forward areas of Jammu and Kashmir on Tuesday.
During his visit, Shinde will visit a few posts manned by the Border Security Forces along the International Border and review the situation there.
The Home Minister is also expected to have a meeting with Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and top security officials of both state and central governments to take stock of the situation along the border.
"I will visit the border areas and review the situation," he said.
There has been continuous tension along the IB and Line of Control due to unprovoked firing and mortar shelling by Pakistani troops since early this year.
Nearly a dozen Indian soldiers were killed and several others injured due to such incidents of ceasefire violations so far this year.
At least 14 Indian forward posts and civilian areas were subjected to firing on Friday night, prompting the BSF to lodge a strong protests with its counterpart Pakistan Rangers.
BSF, which guards the IB, comes under the Home Ministry.
Last month, three Pakistani terrorists crossed the IB and attacked a police station and an army camp in Jammu region killing ten persons, including an army officer.
Yesterday, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said the ceasefire violation was not just an issue of diplomacy but also of military relations.
As a result of the unprovoked firing and mortar shelling by Pakistani troops, the Jammu and Kashmir government is also bracing up for possible migration by locals if there is an escalation in the situation along the IB and LoC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Producer's Guild hold emergency meet after 'Dishoom' leak threat
- WATCH: HISTORIC! Neeraj Chopra sets U-20 Javelin record, becomes first Indian world champion in athletics
- REVEALED: Why Hindu families in Aligarh want to sell their houses, leave area
- We’re not broken, just bent and we can learn to love again!
- Suspended Bihar BJP MLC Tunna Pandey sent to 12-day custody for molesting minor girl on train