Home Ministry gives orders to NIA to investigate Liyakat Shah case
New Delhi: Taking note of the conflicting versions of the Delhi Police and Jammu and Kashmir Police, the Home Ministry on Monday ordered a probe into circumstances leading to the arrest of suspected Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist Liyaqat Ali Shah.
The Ministry of Home Ministry (MHA) gave these orders after taking note of the version presented by the Jammu and Kashmir government vis-à-vis Liyaqat Ali Shah and the facts presented by both the Delhi Police and Jammu and Kashmir Police.
The Special Cell of the Delhi Police has claimed that it had foiled a `fidayeen (suicide) strike` in the capital with the arrest of Shah, who, they claimed, was a Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist who planned attacks to avenge Afzal Guru`s hanging.
However, the Jammu and Kashmir Police have supported the claims of Shah`s family that he was a former militant who had surrendered before SSB at the Sanauli check-post on the Nepal border and was part of a group returning from Pakistan- occupied Kashmir (PoK) as part of the rehabilitation policy of the Jammu and Kashmir government.
As an important confidence building measure, the state government had entered into an understanding with the Home Ministry that any youth who had joined militant ranks in 1990s and wishing to return via Nepal would be allowed to do so provided he surrenders before the Army or police in the Valley.
This way, about 150 former militants have returned to Jammu and Kashmir from PoK after taking the Nepal route in 2011 and around 115 in 2012.
Sources said Shah`s name was number 74 on the police register in Kupwara and his family had applied on February 05, 2011 for his return for rehabilitation. After completing formalities, the local police had forwarded the application to the criminal investigation branch of the Kashmir Police and other departments.
Police were also informed by his family members about his return soon after he left for Kashmir along with his wife and step-daughter last Sunday, they said.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had yesterday asked Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde to hand over Shah`s case to National Investigation Agency (NIA) for a "time-bound speedy probe".
Shah`s wife Akthara has said they sold off a piece of land in PoK for Rs 2 lakh which was used for arranging their passports, air tickets and other travel expenses. She also said they wanted to come to India for the welfare and future of their daughter who is deaf and dumb.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks