Home Ministry robbed of computer`s hard disk
New Delhi: A curious case of robbery has been reported from the high-security Union Home Ministry where a thief appears to have struck again stealing the hard disk of a computer, two months after the very same machine`s monitor was
The theft of hard disk from Room No 203 of Home Ministry in North Block came in the intervening night of January two and three and exactly two months after the monitor of the same computer was stolen, a senior police official said.
Another monitor and hard disk was also found missing from the room on the same day.
The fresh incident came to light on the morning of January three when Ishwar Mehto, an assistant in Home Ministry`s Hindi Department, reached office for work and could not operate his computer.
It was Mehto only who had on November three approached police, claiming that the monitor of the computer used by him was stolen from the room.
"I came to know about the theft of hard disk when I tried to operate the computer using another monitor. I was to type a Cabinet note. As it was not functioning, I called a mechanic who checked it and told me that the hard disk was missing," he
said in his complaint.
Mehto immediately informed his superiors who advised him to file an FIR, the official said.
During investigations, the official said, it was found that another hard disk and monitor was stolen from the same room on the intervening night of January two and three.
A case of theft has been registered.
Following suspicion that the thefts were the handiwork of insiders, officials have taken measures to ensure that no such incident takes place again.
It has now been made mandatory for security personnel to check the baggage going out of the building.
"Earlier, only the baggages which were being taken inside were checked through X-Ray baggage machines. Now, the baggages taken out of the building are also subjected to X-Ray baggage checking," a security official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days