Home Ministry to decide steps concerning Yasin Malik: Khurshid
New Delhi: Amid BJP`s demands that Kashmiri separatist leader Yasin Malik`s passport be revoked for sharing dais with Hafiz Saeed, considered the 26/11 attack mastermind, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid has said the home ministry will take appropriate steps on the matter.
"The home minister has already made a statement. The matter pertains to the home ministry. I`m sure they will take appropriate steps. When they do, they will inform us," Khurshid told an English news channel.
He said Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde Monday said he would apply his mind and have the matter looked into.
Malik, a Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) leader, was seen seated next to Saeed, chief of Jamaat-ud-Dawa, at a rally against execution of Afzal Guru, a convict in the Indian parliament attack case, in Islamabad in Pakistan Sunday.
Saeed is considered to have planned the Nov 26, 2008 Mumbai terror attacks in which 166 people were killed.
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Rajnath Singh said the government should "seriously" take cognizance of Malik sharing the dais with Saeed.
"The government should seriously take cognizance of this. It`s not a small issue. I expect this much from the government," Singh told reporters here.
BJP leader M. Venkaiah Naidu also criticised the government, saying Malik`s passport should be revoked immediately.
BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said it was home ministry`s mistake to allow Malik to go to Pakistan and the party would raise the issue on all forums.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India