Home Ministry upset with MEA over EU envoys visit
New Delhi: The Ministries of Home and the External Affairs were on Monday at loggerheads over the visit of eight envoys of the European Union to Nagaland.
Following a protest lodged by MHA over the visit without any intimation and security clearance and the ministry raising its concern on the delegation meeting political leaders and civil society, Foreign Secretary Rajan Mathai spoke to Home Secretary RK Singh on the issue.
"In all such visits necessary process is ensured and coordination is ensured amongst all concerned organisations and ministries," sources in the MEA said.
Asserting that the decision to allow the diplomats to visit the sensitive northeastern state was "unilateral", the MHA asked the MEA to tell it the purpose of the visit and wanted to know why security clearance has not been sought before giving permission for the visit as is the normal practice.
Official sources said the delegation, which includes ambassadors of Czech Republic, Hungary, Finland, Poland, Bulgaria and Slovakia, met Nagaland Chief Secretary, Speaker of the Assembly, leaders of political parties, representatives of several NGOs and businessmen on Sunday.
The envoys also visited Nagaland University and met Governor Nikhil Kumar today. Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio is hosting a dinner for them on Monday night.
Sources said the MHA was particularly upset over the delegation`s meeting with leaders of political parties and civil society members.
It was of the view that Nagaland being an insurgency-prone state such representations could lead to sharing of information which are inimical to country`s interests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Rupee rebounds 6 paise to 67.05 vs USD
- Sri Lanka vs Australia: Thisara Perera penalised, Mitchell Starc reprimanded for ICC code of conduct breaches
- UEFA Champions League 2016-17 draw; Player of the Year award ceremony — As it happened...
- Kannada actress Ramya attacked with eggs in Mangaluru over 'pro-Pak remarks'
- AFC Ajax keeper Jasper Cillessen joins Barcelona