Homosexuality is `imported disease`, says VHP
New Delhi: Terming as "historic" the Supreme Court decision upholding legal provision against same sex relations, VHP on Monday said homosexuality was an "imported disease" which needed treatment.
In a memorandum to President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Vishwa Hindu Parishad said government should treat the spread of the "imported disease" by putting a complete ban on liquor and making moral education mandatory.
Ridiculing the widespread criticism of the SC order which had struck down a Delhi High Court order decriminalising gay sex, the right-wing organisation said homosexuality was "against Indian culture and values".
BJP has also favoured the verdict upholding Section 377 of the IPC, saying it would not support any "un-natural act".
The Supreme Court had last week set aside the landmark High Court judgement decriminalising gay sex and threw the ball in Parliament`s court for amending law.
The High Court decision four years ago to decriminalise gay sex emboldened the still largely closeted homosexual community which has since campaigned publicly against widespread discrimination and ignorance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!