Honest officers should not be harassed for bonafide mistakes: PM
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Speaking on the occasion of Central Vigilance Commission Golden Jubilee celebrations, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday said that it needs to be insured that honest officers are not harassed for bonafide mistakes.
The Prime Minister said it is an ultimate aim of any anti-corruption mechanism to contribute towards improvement of the processes of governance and delivery of services which can happen only when bold and innovative decision-making was encouraged.
Addressing the gathering, Dr Singh said investigative agencies enjoy complete autonomy and government is willing to do more to insulate Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) from external influences.
Praising the institution, the Prime Minister said, “The CVC is a very important part of the institutional framework for fighting corruption and accountability in the work and conduct of public servants."
The PM`s statement comes after many sections in the society, including the honourable Supreme Court, raised several questions over alleged government interference in the investigation process of the CBI in many cases like the coal blocks allocation scam.
Dr Singh asserted that the CVC should live up to the words of former prime minister Lal Bahadur Shastri who had said the commission should be a fearless champion of the man of integrity and a source of terror to corrupt officers.
"We must ensure the championing of the cause of the man of integrity in all our institutions. In the scenario in which this does not happen, decision-making would suffer badly and instead of improving the processes of governance, we would end up stifling them," Singh said.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA