Honour for Nehru is honour for India: PM
Singapore: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday said Singapore`s decision to honour India`s first prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru with a bronze bust in the city-state was like honouring India.
"Jawaharlal Nehru was prescient when he said in 1946 that Singapore will become the city where Asian unity is forged. We are witnessing such unity being forged," Manmohan Singh said at the unveiling of the bust.
"In honouring Pandit Nehru today, you honour India and all the values that India stands for -- secularism, democracy, freedom and the rule of law. These are the values that continue to unite our two nations today," he said.
"In celebrating our path, the enhanced understanding of each other`s cultures inspire the younger generation and better prepare ourselves for the future," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes