Honour for Nehru is honour for India: PM
Singapore: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday said Singapore`s decision to honour India`s first prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru with a bronze bust in the city-state was like honouring India.
"Jawaharlal Nehru was prescient when he said in 1946 that Singapore will become the city where Asian unity is forged. We are witnessing such unity being forged," Manmohan Singh said at the unveiling of the bust.
"In honouring Pandit Nehru today, you honour India and all the values that India stands for -- secularism, democracy, freedom and the rule of law. These are the values that continue to unite our two nations today," he said.
"In celebrating our path, the enhanced understanding of each other`s cultures inspire the younger generation and better prepare ourselves for the future," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test