Honour, integrity restored: Army Chief’s counsel
New Delhi: Army Chief VK Singh’s counsel Puneet Bali said on Friday that the integrity and honour of the Gen has been restored.
Bali’s statement came minutes after the Supreme Court upheld the government
decision on his age issue and said he cannot resile on his commitment accepting the date of birth as May 10, 1950, forcing him to withdraw his petition.
“Right from the beginning it has been mentioned that it was not a petition to extension of tenure, it was a matter of honour. There were people who doubted our bonafide. Now that the Attorney General has said that the government doesn’t doubt Gen Singh’s integrity…we are satisfied. Honour and integrity has been restored there is nothing more in the petition,” Bali said.
SC has also recorded in its order Attorney General`s statement that government is not questioning integrity or bonafide of Gen Singh.
“The court has been very categorical said that maintenance of date of birth as May 1950 was only in relation to the matter of service,” he added.
“The government has been gracious; the matter has been resolved amicably. It is the victory of both sides,” he stressed.
“It is a victory of democracy; one must take it like that,” Bali said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends