Honour our rights, allow us to perform last rites: Afzal`s wife
New Delhi: The family of Afzal Guru, who was hanged in Tihar Jail Saturday, sought permission from the authorities to perform his last rites in accordance with religious traditions.
Guru`s body was buried inside the jail premises, said officials.
In a letter to Jail Director General Vimla Mehra, drafted by Guru`s lawyer ND Pancholi, wife Tabassum said the last rites of her husband should be performed in a dignified manner.
"We are writing you to please permit the family members to give Afzal Guru a proper dignified last rites in accordance with the religious traditions.
"If you could inform us when the family members can perform their `Namaaz-e-Janaza`, we would appreciate it," said the letter, a copy of which is with IANS.
"We do not wish to make it a political issue in an atmosphere which is already volatile but the family members, as citizens of India, have a right, which must be respected," the letter said.
Guru, convicted for his role in the attack on India`s parliament in 2001, was hanged in the jail at 8 am after his mercy plea was rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee Feb 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie