Honour our rights, allow us to perform last rites: Afzal`s wife
New Delhi: The family of Afzal Guru, who was hanged in Tihar Jail Saturday, sought permission from the authorities to perform his last rites in accordance with religious traditions.
Guru`s body was buried inside the jail premises, said officials.
In a letter to Jail Director General Vimla Mehra, drafted by Guru`s lawyer ND Pancholi, wife Tabassum said the last rites of her husband should be performed in a dignified manner.
"We are writing you to please permit the family members to give Afzal Guru a proper dignified last rites in accordance with the religious traditions.
"If you could inform us when the family members can perform their `Namaaz-e-Janaza`, we would appreciate it," said the letter, a copy of which is with IANS.
"We do not wish to make it a political issue in an atmosphere which is already volatile but the family members, as citizens of India, have a right, which must be respected," the letter said.
Guru, convicted for his role in the attack on India`s parliament in 2001, was hanged in the jail at 8 am after his mercy plea was rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee Feb 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Does a corrupt govt influence the mindset of the youth?
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?