Honour our rights, allow us to perform last rites: Afzal`s wife
New Delhi: The family of Afzal Guru, who was hanged in Tihar Jail Saturday, sought permission from the authorities to perform his last rites in accordance with religious traditions.
Guru`s body was buried inside the jail premises, said officials.
In a letter to Jail Director General Vimla Mehra, drafted by Guru`s lawyer ND Pancholi, wife Tabassum said the last rites of her husband should be performed in a dignified manner.
"We are writing you to please permit the family members to give Afzal Guru a proper dignified last rites in accordance with the religious traditions.
"If you could inform us when the family members can perform their `Namaaz-e-Janaza`, we would appreciate it," said the letter, a copy of which is with IANS.
"We do not wish to make it a political issue in an atmosphere which is already volatile but the family members, as citizens of India, have a right, which must be respected," the letter said.
Guru, convicted for his role in the attack on India`s parliament in 2001, was hanged in the jail at 8 am after his mercy plea was rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee Feb 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’