Honour our rights, allow us to perform last rites: Afzal`s wife
New Delhi: The family of Afzal Guru, who was hanged in Tihar Jail Saturday, sought permission from the authorities to perform his last rites in accordance with religious traditions.
Guru`s body was buried inside the jail premises, said officials.
In a letter to Jail Director General Vimla Mehra, drafted by Guru`s lawyer ND Pancholi, wife Tabassum said the last rites of her husband should be performed in a dignified manner.
"We are writing you to please permit the family members to give Afzal Guru a proper dignified last rites in accordance with the religious traditions.
"If you could inform us when the family members can perform their `Namaaz-e-Janaza`, we would appreciate it," said the letter, a copy of which is with IANS.
"We do not wish to make it a political issue in an atmosphere which is already volatile but the family members, as citizens of India, have a right, which must be respected," the letter said.
Guru, convicted for his role in the attack on India`s parliament in 2001, was hanged in the jail at 8 am after his mercy plea was rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee Feb 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried