`Hope to continue good work of my predecessor`
New Delhi: Newly appointed Environment
Minister Jayanthi Natarajan on Wednesday expressed hope that she
would continue the good work of her predecessor under whose
stewardship the Ministry had performed "extremely well".
"The Ministry has performed extremely well under the
stewardship of my predecessor and I hope to continue the good
work done by him," Natarajan told reporters after assuming
charge as Minister for Environment and Forests (Independent).
Stating that the Ministry under Jairam Ramesh had
never been a "roadblock" to progress, she said that
environment and development should go hand in hand.
"I plan to address all those issues with the prime
interest of people of India at heart and with complete sense
of justice, fair-play and I have a completely open mind. But I
certainly intend to make sure that all environmental issues in
this country remain in the mainstream," she said.
"I am not apprehensive of anything," Natarajan said
when asked whether she was "apprehensive" about her comparison
with Ramesh as Environment Minister.
"I certainly hope that I am able to justify the
confidence that has been reposed to me by the Prime Minister,
Congress president and the people of the country," she said.
Disputing with the argument that her work would be
rated on the basis of an increased rejection of green
clearances to projects, Natarajan said, "I would go entirely
by the justice of the matter and what is good for the people
of the country".
"I feel that nothing should be judged by any rate of
rejection," the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway