Hopeful for Sarabjit`s early release: Sukhbir
Amritsar: Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Monday said that he was hopeful for early release of Sarabjit Singh and other innocent prisoners lodged in various jails of Pakistan since many years.
Badal said that he had raised the issue with Chief Minister of Pak Punjab Muhhammad Shahbaz Sharif, for early release of Sarabjit and other Indian prisoners, who have either completed their terms or were jailed for petty offences.
He was speaking to media persons after paying obeisance at Golden Temple here.
He said that he had requested Pak Punjab CM to persuade their Federal Government for positive consideration of mercy appeal of Sarabjit.
He said that he impressed upon Sharif that Sarabjit has already completed 22 year-term in the jail and it would be imperative for Pakistan Government to release him at the earliest.
He said that early release of Sarabjit and other prisoners would further cement Indo-Pak ties.
Earlier, inspecting the progress of pedestrian plaza being constructed at the main entrance of Golden Temple, Badal said that it would give the pictorial display of rich religious and cultural history of Sikhs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred