Hopeful of a solution on Lokpal today: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Thursday expressed hope of finding a solution to issues relating to the Lokpal Bill.
The Congress party held a meeting today to discuss the Lokpal impasse.
On Wednesday, the PM admitted that the government was in a "bind" from which it has to come out, adding that "practical and pragmatic" solutions have to be found to the Lokpal issue.
However, the Prime Minister indicated that the government does not favour withdrawal of the Lokpal Bill already introduced by it in Parliament and being considered by a Standing Committee.
Singh shook his head to indicate this when asked whether the government would accept the demand of major opposition parties for withdrawal of the government Bill and its replacement by a fresh Bill incorporating clauses from drafts from various quarters.
Singh also said Hazare should listen to the unanimous sentiment of all parties and end his fast.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- ‘Wanted’ duo Salman Khan – Prabhudheva to team up again?
- NASA's Viking mission data to unfold Mars' mystery
- Kolkata: Boy found killed after party at Amit Chaudhuri's house, author denies knowing him
- 1 killed, dozen hurt in building collapse after cylinder blast
- 'Star Wars Episode VIII' officially wraps production