Hopeful of a solution on Lokpal today: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Thursday expressed hope of finding a solution to issues relating to the Lokpal Bill.
The Congress party held a meeting today to discuss the Lokpal impasse.
On Wednesday, the PM admitted that the government was in a "bind" from which it has to come out, adding that "practical and pragmatic" solutions have to be found to the Lokpal issue.
However, the Prime Minister indicated that the government does not favour withdrawal of the Lokpal Bill already introduced by it in Parliament and being considered by a Standing Committee.
Singh shook his head to indicate this when asked whether the government would accept the demand of major opposition parties for withdrawal of the government Bill and its replacement by a fresh Bill incorporating clauses from drafts from various quarters.
Singh also said Hazare should listen to the unanimous sentiment of all parties and end his fast.
(With PTI inputs)
- Bipasha Basu, Karan Singh Grover set floor ablaze with killer moves at wedding reception – Watch here
- Petrol, diesel-run cabs banned from Delhi-NCR roads from today
- Wealth from waste: A novel Indian biotech solution
- IAF chopper sprinkles water to douse Uttarakhand forest fires; Rajnath Singh reviews situation
- China may reconsider stand on Pakistani terrorists Hafiz Saeed, Masood Azhar?