Hopes of Sarabjit`s family shattered
Jalandhar: The family members of Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh, who was convicted and sentenced to death on charges of terrorism in Pakistan, said that they were shocked to receive the news of Sarabjit’s release was a faux pas on the part of Pakistani government and it was another Indian prisoner Surjeet Singh who was being released instead.
Earlier, reports had surfaced that Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari has commuted Indian prisoner Sarabjeet’s death sentence to life imprisonment.
Sarabjit`s family claimed that he had crossed into Pakistan inadvertently in August 1990 in an inebriated state and was arrested there.
But Pakistani police claims that Sarabjit Singh, who is known as Manjit Singh there, was involved in acts of terrorism. A resident of Bhikhiwind township, along the India-Pakistan border, Sarabjit had been languishing in Pakistani jails ever since.
He was convicted of staging four bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan in 1990 that claimed 14 lives.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room