Hopes of Sarabjit`s family shattered
Jalandhar: The family members of Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh, who was convicted and sentenced to death on charges of terrorism in Pakistan, said that they were shocked to receive the news of Sarabjit’s release was a faux pas on the part of Pakistani government and it was another Indian prisoner Surjeet Singh who was being released instead.
Earlier, reports had surfaced that Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari has commuted Indian prisoner Sarabjeet’s death sentence to life imprisonment.
Sarabjit`s family claimed that he had crossed into Pakistan inadvertently in August 1990 in an inebriated state and was arrested there.
But Pakistani police claims that Sarabjit Singh, who is known as Manjit Singh there, was involved in acts of terrorism. A resident of Bhikhiwind township, along the India-Pakistan border, Sarabjit had been languishing in Pakistani jails ever since.
He was convicted of staging four bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan in 1990 that claimed 14 lives.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Here are some tips to style yourself in a Boho outfit
- It is inexcusable that Leander Paes reached Rio a day before doubles match: Mahesh Bhupathi
- Stopping exercise for 10 days decreases brain blood flow
- Learn it from Japan – It runs a train for single passenger! Know why
- Subramanian Swamy calls LG Najeeb Jung a “420 like Kejriwal”