Hopes of Sarabjit`s family shattered
Jalandhar: The family members of Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh, who was convicted and sentenced to death on charges of terrorism in Pakistan, said that they were shocked to receive the news of Sarabjit’s release was a faux pas on the part of Pakistani government and it was another Indian prisoner Surjeet Singh who was being released instead.
Earlier, reports had surfaced that Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari has commuted Indian prisoner Sarabjeet’s death sentence to life imprisonment.
Sarabjit`s family claimed that he had crossed into Pakistan inadvertently in August 1990 in an inebriated state and was arrested there.
But Pakistani police claims that Sarabjit Singh, who is known as Manjit Singh there, was involved in acts of terrorism. A resident of Bhikhiwind township, along the India-Pakistan border, Sarabjit had been languishing in Pakistani jails ever since.
He was convicted of staging four bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan in 1990 that claimed 14 lives.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!