Hopes of Sarabjit`s family shattered
Jalandhar: The family members of Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh, who was convicted and sentenced to death on charges of terrorism in Pakistan, said that they were shocked to receive the news of Sarabjit’s release was a faux pas on the part of Pakistani government and it was another Indian prisoner Surjeet Singh who was being released instead.
Earlier, reports had surfaced that Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari has commuted Indian prisoner Sarabjeet’s death sentence to life imprisonment.
Sarabjit`s family claimed that he had crossed into Pakistan inadvertently in August 1990 in an inebriated state and was arrested there.
But Pakistani police claims that Sarabjit Singh, who is known as Manjit Singh there, was involved in acts of terrorism. A resident of Bhikhiwind township, along the India-Pakistan border, Sarabjit had been languishing in Pakistani jails ever since.
He was convicted of staging four bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan in 1990 that claimed 14 lives.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them