Hospital can`t be prosecuted for medical negligence: HC
New Delhi: If a patient dies or suffers due to medical negligence in a hospital then its management cannot be prosecuted, the Delhi High Court has said holding that only
the doctors should be penalised.
The court, however, said the management of the hospital would be liable in case of administrative negligence and failure to provide basic infrastructure to the patients.
"The hospital/company cannot be held liable for the personal negligence of the doctor in giving wrong treatment," Justice Shiv Narayan Dhingra said while quashing criminal
proceedings against the city`s reputed Indraprastha Apollo hospital.
"If there is an administrative negligence or a negligence of not providing basic infrastructure, which results into some harm to an aggrieved person or such negligence which is impersonal, the hospital can be held liable," Justice Dhingra said.
"But, in the case of medical negligence, which is personal to the doctor who gave treatment, the Corporation would not be liable and it is the doctor who can be indicted
for medical criminal negligence," the court said.
The court also said it is the doctor who treats the patients and hospitals should not be punished due to error on part of its medical staff.
"The offence of medical criminal negligence cannot be fastened on the company since the company can neither treat nor operate a patient of its own."
"It is the doctor working in the hospital who treats and performs operations. It is the doctor who examines the patients and prescribe medicines. If there is a deliberate or
negligent act of the doctor working in the hospital, it is the liability of the doctor and not of the hospitals for criminal negligence," the court said in a recent order.
The order was passed on a petition filed by Indraprastha Medical Corporation Ltd challenging a Metropolitan Magistrate`s order for registration of FIR against it for
alleged medical negligence resulting in the death of a patient in 2007.
The company contended that the hospital could not be held responsible as the patient was being treated by three doctors from the Department of Cardiology a few years back.
The counsel argued that the patient had a natural death at his home several months after the surgery but the family alleged that severe complications due to negligent treatment
by the doctors led to the death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!