House nod for merger of State Bank of Saurashtra with SBI
New Delhi: Parliament on Friday post facto
approved the merger of the State Bank of Saurashtra (SBS) with
State Bank of India (SBI) with Rajya Sabha passing it by voice
vote amid opposition from Left parties.
"The pay and allowances and service conditions of the
employees of SBS will not be altered to their disadvantage,"
Minister of State for Finance Namo Narain Meena said as the
House approved the two bills to given effect to the merger
that took place in 2008.
The bills to repeal the State Bank of Saurashtra Act and
amend the SBI (Subsidiary Banks) Act were passed as CPI-M
expressed its apprehension over the pay parity and other
benefits of the transferee bank employees in the merged
Opposing the Bill, Tapan Sen (CPI-M) said the merger would
leave the Bank of Saurashtra employees in a lurch and lead to
shrinking of rural branch expansion programme.
Allaying his fears, Meena said no branches of SBS are
being closed as a result of the merger. "There should be no
apprehension on this count", he said.
The Minister said the Government has a broad agenda of
financial inclusion targetted towards providing better banking
The merger would rather lead to more ATMs and more
branches, he said adding services would improve.
The associate bank was merged with the SBI in October 2008
following resolutions passed by the boards of both the banks.
The amendments, though a legislative formality, were
opposed by CPI-M and CPI which saw in the merger a larger
design to privatise the state-owned banking sector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced