House nod for merger of State Bank of Saurashtra with SBI
New Delhi: Parliament on Friday post facto
approved the merger of the State Bank of Saurashtra (SBS) with
State Bank of India (SBI) with Rajya Sabha passing it by voice
vote amid opposition from Left parties.
"The pay and allowances and service conditions of the
employees of SBS will not be altered to their disadvantage,"
Minister of State for Finance Namo Narain Meena said as the
House approved the two bills to given effect to the merger
that took place in 2008.
The bills to repeal the State Bank of Saurashtra Act and
amend the SBI (Subsidiary Banks) Act were passed as CPI-M
expressed its apprehension over the pay parity and other
benefits of the transferee bank employees in the merged
Opposing the Bill, Tapan Sen (CPI-M) said the merger would
leave the Bank of Saurashtra employees in a lurch and lead to
shrinking of rural branch expansion programme.
Allaying his fears, Meena said no branches of SBS are
being closed as a result of the merger. "There should be no
apprehension on this count", he said.
The Minister said the Government has a broad agenda of
financial inclusion targetted towards providing better banking
The merger would rather lead to more ATMs and more
branches, he said adding services would improve.
The associate bank was merged with the SBI in October 2008
following resolutions passed by the boards of both the banks.
The amendments, though a legislative formality, were
opposed by CPI-M and CPI which saw in the merger a larger
design to privatise the state-owned banking sector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Twist in BMC poll results as BJP emerges as `largest party`
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway