How a live blogger captured the attack on Osama
New Delhi: Little knowing that he was
following a historic moment, an I-T expert in Abbottabad in
Pakistan tweeted details of the covert US operation, which
killed al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden, some eight hours before
the formal announcement of his death.
Sohaib Akhtar tweeted the first tweet of the day at one
in the morning (Pakistan time) saying "Helicopters hovering
above Abbottabad at 1 AM (is a rare event)."
Akhtar, whose profile on the micro blogging site
describes him as "an IT consultant taking a break from the
rat-race by hiding in the mountains with his laptops" did not
realise that he was not the only one "hiding" in those hills,
and within the vicinity was world`s most wanted terrorist
Osama Bin Laden, who was living in a mansion close by.
Within minutes, Akhtar who was apparently angry over
power cuts and sound of chopper in his area tweeted, "Go away
Helicopter - before I take out my giant swatter."
"A huge window shaking bang here in Abbottabad Cantt. I
hope its not the start of something nasty," feared Akhtar
after hearing a huge explosion in the vicinity.
The reactions to his tweets show that locales were
worried about some untoward developments which may be
unfolding without realising that events of the night will
bring quite township of Abbottabad on front-page headlines of
newspapers across the globe.
One Hania Ahmed also tweeted about a big-blast in
Abbottabad and expressed apprehensions if everything was fine
in the city.
An hour later, about 2 AM Pakistan time, Akhtar posted
that a "helicopter/UFO" was shot down over Bilal Town area.
He clarified to one his followers on twitter that it was
not a fault which brought down the helicopter and posted
"people are saying it was not a technical fault and it was
shot down. I heard it circle 3-4 times above, sounded
While President Barrack Obama`s was announcing the death
of mastermind of 9/11 terror attacks on World Trade Centre in
a special operation, Akhtar said that some families have been
killed during the helicopter "accident".
His posts on the twitter describe that the area was
cordoned off by Army and there were several traffic jams
resulting from travel restrictions and cordoning of area by
the Armed forces.
After the announcement, Akhtar could not hide his
amusement saying "Uh oh, now I`m the guy who liveblogged the
Osama raid without knowing it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi