How does it matter if Rajesh Khanna is dead or alive: Katju
Bangalore: Press Council of India Chairman Markandey Katju on Friday slammed television news channels for "excessive" coverage on film stars, cricket and astrology to boost viewership rather than focusing on real issues such as economy, poverty, unemployment and farmers` suicides.
Speaking at a seminar on "Media and its responsibiliites", organised by the All India Small & Medium Newspapers Federation here, he expressed disgust over news channels devoting lot of time on "film star who got pregnant, film star who gave birth to a child", topics of such nature, cricket and astrology.
He referred to the `hyper-media` coverage by sections of the channels when cricketer Rahul Dravid announced his retirement, and Rajesh Khanna passed away.
"How does it matter if Rajesh Khanna is dead or alive", Katju asked, as he expressed dismay that poverty, unemployment and farmers` suicides are not getting their share in newstime.
Katju also lamented that channels had a tendency to flash -- without verifying the authenticity of email or SMS -- that some outfits -- Indian Mujahideen or Jaish-e-Mohammed or Harkat-ul-Mujahindeen -- claimed responsibility whenever bomb blasts took place in the country, while such messages could easily be sent by mischievous elements.
"What message (airing such unsubstantiated news) it sends out? It sends out a subtle message that all Muslims are terrorists and all Muslims throw bombs", he said.
"You want to sensationalise it; you want TRP high. You don`t care if the nation is built or breaks up". He said the fact of the matter is 99 per cent of people in all religion are good people," Katju said.
Katju said he had discussed with Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh on bringing news channels also under the Press Council of India ambit but wondered why they are "furiously opposing" the idea when they will have a large representation in the council, which takes decisions by majority.
He said the country was currently passing through a transitionary phase -- from being a feudal-agricultural society to modern and industrial one. This phase, which is going to be turbulent, would last for another 10-20 years and media needs to play an important role, discharging its duties with restraint and in a responsible manner.
Media should promote scientific thinking and outlook, he said and expressed the view that parents and elders who teach casteism, fundamentalism and other "backward" things should not be respected.
He termed the recent exodus of north-easteners from here following rumours of being targetted as a "disgrace to all of us".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt