HRD for reforms in law education; seeks BCI co-op
New Delhi: Strongly advocating re-hauling of
legal education to improve quality, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal
has asked Bar Council of India (BCI) to come on board for
augmenting reforms and recommended starting of combined degree
courses in law and other professional streams.
"It is often, that the lawyers have no knowledge of
engineering and engineers do not know law. So, my idea is, why
we should not introduce within the system, a two-year
engineering and two-year law degree and marry both," HRD
minister Kapil Sibal told agency in an interview.
On whether BCI is opposed to the reforms, Sibal said BCI
has some "misunderstanding" on the issue. "The government does
not wish to reform any part of the system which deals with
professionals," he said.
Asked if any turf issue has been raised by Law Minister
Veerapa Moily as per some reports, Sibal replied in the
"We need to think about India... not Bar Council, not my
ministry or your ministry. If somebody has a problem, we need
to get together and work it out," he said.
The ministry wanted to involve BCI in the reforms process
and therefore, has set up a round-table for suggesting a road
map for reforms in the legal education, he said.
"We have to have a dialogue with BCI, that is why I
nominated the chairman of BCI as one of the persons in the
round-table but he chose not to come. We know where the needs
are. We are telling the BCI please come, join us and be part
of the system and give us your input as well, so that we can
walk together," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you