HRD for reforms in law education; seeks BCI co-op
New Delhi: Strongly advocating re-hauling of
legal education to improve quality, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal
has asked Bar Council of India (BCI) to come on board for
augmenting reforms and recommended starting of combined degree
courses in law and other professional streams.
"It is often, that the lawyers have no knowledge of
engineering and engineers do not know law. So, my idea is, why
we should not introduce within the system, a two-year
engineering and two-year law degree and marry both," HRD
minister Kapil Sibal told agency in an interview.
On whether BCI is opposed to the reforms, Sibal said BCI
has some "misunderstanding" on the issue. "The government does
not wish to reform any part of the system which deals with
professionals," he said.
Asked if any turf issue has been raised by Law Minister
Veerapa Moily as per some reports, Sibal replied in the
"We need to think about India... not Bar Council, not my
ministry or your ministry. If somebody has a problem, we need
to get together and work it out," he said.
The ministry wanted to involve BCI in the reforms process
and therefore, has set up a round-table for suggesting a road
map for reforms in the legal education, he said.
"We have to have a dialogue with BCI, that is why I
nominated the chairman of BCI as one of the persons in the
round-table but he chose not to come. We know where the needs
are. We are telling the BCI please come, join us and be part
of the system and give us your input as well, so that we can
walk together," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- 3D model demonstrates how sea waves transport materials within aquatic ecosystems
- Two legends, one pic! Amitabh Bachchan shares memorable moment with father Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- Rohan Bopanna, Leander Paes reach French Open quarters
- Narendra Modi addresses 'Vikas Parv' rally in Karnataka, unveils cooking gas scheme for poor
- Vidya Balan would love to be directed by brother-in-law