HRD, HealthMin at loggerheads over health edu
New Delhi: The HRD and Health ministries
are at loggerheads over bringing of health education under the
ambit of a proposed overarching body and their officials will
meet next week to discuss the issue.
Health Secretary Sujatha Rao and senior ministry
officials are expected to meet HRD Ministry officials on
Rao has already written a letter to the HRD Ministry
to oppose the move to include health education under the
purview of the proposed National Commission Higher Education
and Research (NCHER).
A task force, set up by HRD Ministry on preparing the
NCHER bill, has supported the idea of bringing health
education under NCHER. The Prime Minister`s Office is
reportedly supporting this idea and the Planning Commission
has endorsed it as well.
The idea has gained more strength after the government
dissolved the Medical Council of India owing to allegations of
irregularities and corruption by it.
The proposed NCHER also seeks bring legal education
under its ambit. The Bar Council of India has already opposed
Both legal and medical education being specialised
areas, there are divergent views in various quarters on
whether these disciplines would be brought under NCHER. The
HRD ministry feels that the proposed NCHER would not regulate
the profession but would concentrate on setting standards for
The HRD Ministry is holding a consultative meeting on
May 29 with various stakeholders on the proposed NCHER.
The draft NCHER bill will be brought before the Central
Advisory Board of Education, an advisory panel having state
education ministers as its members, on June 18 and 19.
The task force of HRD Ministry has finalised the draft
legislation after two-month-long consultations with various
The major concerns raised by different quarters,
including state government officials, have been taken care of
in the re-drafted bill, official sources said.
The HRD Ministry wants to finalise the bill soon and
introduce it in Parliament in the monsoon session.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- When Muslim dies they give 20 lakhs, but Hindu doesn't even get 20,000: Sakshi Maharaj