HRD ministry plans overhaul of Madrasa education system
New Delhi: With the aim of bringing about
comprehensive overhaul of Madrasa education, HRD Ministry has
prepared a bill under which the system of religious education
would be brought on a par with the modern education system.
The proposed Central Madrasa Board Bill 2009 envisages
setting up of a Board to take steps for standardisation of
non-religious aspects of Madrasa education.
In an effort to build consensus on the bill, HRD
Minister Kapil Sibal will hold consultations with Muslim MPs
from all parties here tomorrow.
The proposed Board will also recommend introduction of
modern textbooks other than religious texts as extra reading
to complement students` knowledge.
As per the draft bill, the proposed body will take
measures for comprehensive, systematic and integrated
development of the Madrasa system of education.
It will undertake an evaluation of the curriculum
framework once in five years so as to make Madrasa system of
education a fit and effective tool for educational empowerment
The proposed Board will establish equivalency
standardisation with other educational institutions, grants
certificates or other equivalent distinctions to persons who
successfully complete courses of study affiliated to a
It will consist of a chairperson and 15 members. The
members will include three Muslim religious scholars of
theology, one each from Deoband school, Barelvi school and
A religious scholar of Imam Shafai Sect, a scholar from
Shia sect and another from Dawoodi Bohra sect will be members
of the proposed body, the draft bill said. One member should
be a Muslim scholar in the traditional Madrasa education.
Six members will be Muslims who have made outstanding
contributions in the field of social sciences, humanities,
sciences and education, according to the draft bill said. One
member will be a Muslim philanthropist with contribution to
education of Muslims.
These members will be appointed by the Central
government from a panel of three members.
Chairperson and other members will be appointed for a
period of three years. The chairperson should be an
educationist of eminence, integrity and standing with
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city