HRD Ministry should focus on school education: Digvijay
Jabalpur: After his potshots at Home Minister P Chidambaram, Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Saturday appeared to snipe at HRD Minister Kapil Sibal seeking his attention on school education rather than higher education.
"The need at the moment is that the HRD Ministry should pay more attention to the development of school education and skill development centres rather than higher
education and I have full faith that they will look into the matter," Singh said.
Sibal has become the fresh target of Singh after he took on Chidambaram, attacking his strategy to tackle Maoists. He had even called Chidambaram "intellectually arrogant".
Earlier this week, Sibal had hit back at his detractors, who had accused him of rushing an education bill, by invoking Rajiv Gandhi and said the former Prime Minister had desired that the task of imparting quality education should be achieved in a few months.
"If people say that we are in a hurry, then I would like to state that Rajivji had said it in 1985 that this should be achieved in a few months," Sibal had said at a function in the presence of Congress chief Sonia Gandhi. Sibal`s remarks were seen as an apparent rebuff to detractors like K Keshav Rao, who had attacked the policies of the HRD Ministry in a debate in the Rajya Sabha that forced the government to defer the Education Tribunal Bill.
During the just-concluded Parliament session, Rao`s attack forced him to defer the Education Tribunal Bill, 2010. Rao had said, "This kind of hasty legislation for a
subject like education does not augur well" and that "his (Sibal`s) thoughts run faster than the deeds of his ministry".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy