HRD rejects MoH`s adverse views on medicine courses by IITs
New Delhi: Rejecting the suggestion of the
Health Ministry that IITs should not be permitted to start
conventional courses in medicine, the HRD Ministry is set to
amend a law to allow the elite institutes to offer courses in
Minister of State for HRD D Purandeswari today said in
Lok Sabha that the IIT Act will be amended to incorporate
`Medicine` in it. This will help the IITs to offer programmes
bringing the diverse disciplines of medicine and engineering
In reply to a written question, she said while IIT
Kharagpur proposed to introduce new medical education
programmes like MBBS, MD, MS and Ph.D, the Ministry of Health
and Family Welfare opined that establishing medical colleges
by the IITs for starting conventional medicine courses would
not be advisable.
"However, appreciating the fact that the modern trends in
medical education and research in technology and medicine in
all the developed and most of the developing countries are
seen hand-in-hand, the government proposes to incorporate
`Medicine` in the IIT Act," she said.
Purandeswari said the programme will bring the two
important disciplines of medicine and engineering together.
"On consultation with the Ministry of Health and Family
Welfare regarding the proposal to include `Medicine` within
the scope of the IIT Act, 1961, it was opined that
establishing medical colleges by the IITs for starting
conventional medicine courses would not be advisable," she
The IIT Kharagpur has come up with a concrete proposal in
this regard and plans to start a medical college in
collaboration with Indian Railways.
At a meeting of experts in the Health ministry in
February this year, it was observed that IITs should start
courses on health information technology, biomedical
engineering and e-health rather than running a hospital or
starting MBBS courses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next