Hu arrives in India, to meet Manmohan
New Delhi: Chinese President Hu Jintao arrived here on Wednesday on a two-day visit to participate in the BRICS summit and to hold wide-ranging bilateral talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The Chinese President is accompanied by a high-profile delegation comprising Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi, State Councillor Dai Bingguo, senior ministers and business leaders.
Hu will meet Russian President Dmitry Medvedev on Wednesday before participating in the BRICS summit next day.
Hu, along with the Presidents of Russia, Brazil and South Africa, will attend a banquet hosted by President Pratibha Patil in the evening.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will hold bilaterals on Thursday afternoon with the Chinese President that will cover various issues including bridging the trade deficit and fast-tracking the new confidence-building measures.
The two leaders are expected to declare 2012 as the year of India-China friendship and unveil initiatives to bolster cultural exchanges and people-to-people contacts.
India is expected is to raise the issue of huge imbalance in bilateral trade which has exceeded USD 70 billion, with the surplus heavily in China`s favour.
Hu will speak at the plenary session of the 4th BRICS summit on Thursday where he is expected to highlight China`s position on global governance, sustainable development and ways to ramp up intra-BRICS trade and investment.
This will be the last visit to India by Hu as China goes in for a leadership succession later this year. He last came to India in 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened