Huge arms haul in MP, no terror link
Bhopal: The Madhya Pradesh police on Sunday recovered arms and explosives in huge quantity from Madhya Pradesh’s Rewa district.
The police found detonators, gelatine rods, ammonium nitrate, dry cells and wires in large amounts from a house and a car in during a raid but said there was no terror link to the haul.
The Home Ministry also confirmed that the arms were not meant for any terror purpose. Home Secretary, RK Singh said that the explosives were meant illegal mining.
"On a tip off, we raided the house of Rajesh Patel and found a huge quantity of gelatine sticks, detonators and detonating cords. Later, we came to know that explosives were also being transported in a car. We chased and seized the car too," Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of Police, Rewa, KP Khare, said.
Patel, a resident of Gangotari Colony in Rewa town, is absconding, he said.
"Till the time Patel is arrested, we cannot say much about the source of the explosives and their intended use. But, so far we can say that it was not going to be used for a terror act," said Khare.
The police recovered 14 packets of detonating cord, two-and-a-half packets of detonators and 10 packets of gelatine sticks.
From the car (without a registration number) which they chased and seized, police recovered 5,000 gelatine sticks in 50 cartons and 29 packets of detonating cord.
Car driver Manoj Kaul was arrested.
The DIG Khare also announced Rs 5,000 reward for constable Rajendra Singh Parihar who acted promptly in the case.
The development comes just days after a car laden with RDX was recovered from outside the Ambala Railway Station in Haryana.
Following that discovery, terror alert has been issued for all major cities.
On Oct 13, Bharatiya Janata Party leader LK Advani`s anti-graft roadshow, Jan Chetna Yatra, passed through Rewa district.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- `IS child bomber` behind Turkey wedding blast, claims President
- Welshman Gareth Bale fires Real Madrid past Real Sociadad 3-0 in the opening encounter
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon