Huge arms haul in MP, no terror link
Bhopal: The Madhya Pradesh police on Sunday recovered arms and explosives in huge quantity from Madhya Pradesh’s Rewa district.
The police found detonators, gelatine rods, ammonium nitrate, dry cells and wires in large amounts from a house and a car in during a raid but said there was no terror link to the haul.
The Home Ministry also confirmed that the arms were not meant for any terror purpose. Home Secretary, RK Singh said that the explosives were meant illegal mining.
"On a tip off, we raided the house of Rajesh Patel and found a huge quantity of gelatine sticks, detonators and detonating cords. Later, we came to know that explosives were also being transported in a car. We chased and seized the car too," Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of Police, Rewa, KP Khare, said.
Patel, a resident of Gangotari Colony in Rewa town, is absconding, he said.
"Till the time Patel is arrested, we cannot say much about the source of the explosives and their intended use. But, so far we can say that it was not going to be used for a terror act," said Khare.
The police recovered 14 packets of detonating cord, two-and-a-half packets of detonators and 10 packets of gelatine sticks.
From the car (without a registration number) which they chased and seized, police recovered 5,000 gelatine sticks in 50 cartons and 29 packets of detonating cord.
Car driver Manoj Kaul was arrested.
The DIG Khare also announced Rs 5,000 reward for constable Rajendra Singh Parihar who acted promptly in the case.
The development comes just days after a car laden with RDX was recovered from outside the Ambala Railway Station in Haryana.
Following that discovery, terror alert has been issued for all major cities.
On Oct 13, Bharatiya Janata Party leader LK Advani`s anti-graft roadshow, Jan Chetna Yatra, passed through Rewa district.
With IANS inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference