Huge arms haul in MP, no terror link
Bhopal: The Madhya Pradesh police on Sunday recovered arms and explosives in huge quantity from Madhya Pradesh’s Rewa district.
The police found detonators, gelatine rods, ammonium nitrate, dry cells and wires in large amounts from a house and a car in during a raid but said there was no terror link to the haul.
The Home Ministry also confirmed that the arms were not meant for any terror purpose. Home Secretary, RK Singh said that the explosives were meant illegal mining.
"On a tip off, we raided the house of Rajesh Patel and found a huge quantity of gelatine sticks, detonators and detonating cords. Later, we came to know that explosives were also being transported in a car. We chased and seized the car too," Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of Police, Rewa, KP Khare, said.
Patel, a resident of Gangotari Colony in Rewa town, is absconding, he said.
"Till the time Patel is arrested, we cannot say much about the source of the explosives and their intended use. But, so far we can say that it was not going to be used for a terror act," said Khare.
The police recovered 14 packets of detonating cord, two-and-a-half packets of detonators and 10 packets of gelatine sticks.
From the car (without a registration number) which they chased and seized, police recovered 5,000 gelatine sticks in 50 cartons and 29 packets of detonating cord.
Car driver Manoj Kaul was arrested.
The DIG Khare also announced Rs 5,000 reward for constable Rajendra Singh Parihar who acted promptly in the case.
The development comes just days after a car laden with RDX was recovered from outside the Ambala Railway Station in Haryana.
Following that discovery, terror alert has been issued for all major cities.
On Oct 13, Bharatiya Janata Party leader LK Advani`s anti-graft roadshow, Jan Chetna Yatra, passed through Rewa district.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you