Human bomb behind Mumbai blast?
New Delhi: Hours after Union Home Secretary RK Singh confirmed reports that an electric circuit has been found on one of the bodies recovered from one of the blasts sites in Mumbai, Secretary (Internal Security) UK Bansal said that the possibility of a human bomb cannot be ruled out.
Speaking to reporters in Delhi, Bansal while not wanting to elaborate on the ‘wired body’ but he did not rule out the possibility of a human bomb. However, he stressed that it would too early to suggest that it was a suicide attack.
He added that most bodies have been identified and that CCTV footages are being examined thoroughly for clues.
On the line of investigations, Bansal said, "There is no special lead. All are suspects," adding that Indian Mujahideen accused arrested recently are being interrogated.
Indian Mujahideen is said to be one of the prime suspects behind the attack owing to the modus operandi.
On any possible outside link to the blasts, he said, “As of now, no ground to believe that Mumbai blasts
have any across-the-border link.”
Earlier in the day, Home Secretary RK Singh had convened a high-level meeting to take stock of the situation. Singh said that The Director General of the National Security Guard has reported that his team has found wires on one of the bodies, “which would indicate that he was very close to the blast site.”
When specifically asked whether it points to a suicide bombing, Singh only said, “I am not ruling out anything.”
The presence of wires on one of the bodies is said to have been first reported by the dean of JJ Dean TP Lahane said.
JJ Hospital is one of the 13 hospitals where the victims of the blast were rushed to after the blasts.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said that crucial CCTV footage has been recovered from the blast sites.
As per some reports, the two Indian Mujahideen terrorists, who were nabbed by the Maharashtra ATS recently, had during interrogation, hinted at a module working to carry out serial blasts.
According to reports, both terrorists – Mohammed Mobin Abdul Shakoor Khan alias Irfan and Ayub Raja Amin Shaikh – had spilled beans on an active unit that was planning serials blasts in not only Mumbai but in Gujarat as well.
Both were arrested from Mankhurd with two weapons – a 7.66 mm Pistol and .32 bore revolver with four rounds. Their role is being probed in connection with the past blasts in Ahmedabad, finding of unexploded bombs in Surat and also for the e-mails sent by Indian Mujahideen after the blasts.
The identity of the perpetrators of the attack is yet to be confirmed. Home Minister P Chidambaram has refused to speculate on the group behind the attack. He said, “All groups hostile to India are under the scanner.”
The Home Minister, during a press conference held here today, had also rejected the suggestions that there has been an intelligence failure. He said that there was no intelligence on Black Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row