Humans becoming economic entity: Bhutan PM
Bhubaneswar: Observing that people had become less of human beings and more of economic entities, Bhutan PM Jigmi Y Thinley on Sunday said it had become necessary to pull society out of market forces to achieve happiness.
"We have become less of human being, and more of economic entity. We need to reclaim our society from market forces," Thinley said while gracing the 8th Annual Convocation of KIIT University here as chief guest.
Happiness comes from balancing needs of the body with those of mind and it thrives only when people around are also happy, said Thinley, who has won appreciation for proposing Gross National Happiness as an alternative development paradigm and advocated its inclusion as the ninth millennium development goal.
Obsession with growth has brought our environment and civilisation to the brink, the Bhutanese Prime Minister said, while emphasising that the world is in need of change. He was also conferred the Degree of D Litt, Honoris Causa.
Offering a new perspective of life -- pursuit of happiness -- he advised students to serve society and exhorted them to make a beginning by serving their parents and protecting the institution of marriage.
Ghulam Farooq Wardak, Minister of Education of Afghanistan (D Litt), Dr Kee Sun Ham, President of Hanseo University in South Korea (D Sc) and Prof Baidyanath Mishra, Economist of Bhubaneswar, received Honorary Degress.
Altogether 2,216 graduates were awarded graduate and postgraduate degrees in various disciplines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday